Commercial kitchens face increased danger of electricity because of the risk of water spills and grease, fires, worn electrical cords on countertop equipment, faulty wiring or equipment, damaged outlets or connectors, and improperly used or damaged extension cords, just to name a few.
Electrical Tips for Kitchen Safety
Most restaurant fires start in the kitchen, so it’s important for all restaurant employees to respect the power of electricity and to report potential electrical hazard to managers immediately. When working with electrical equipment, there are several things commercial kitchen workers can do to prevent serious accidents, electrocution and the potential for fire:
- Know how to shut off all power in case of an emergency
- Keep the power cords away from hot surfaces and ovens when in use
- Pull on the plug itself, not the cord when unplugging equipment
- Use ceiling or wall outlets rather than running cords across a potentially wet floor
- Avoid touching the prongs of a plug while inserting it into an outlet
- Do not plug something in if the cord is wet or if you are touching a wet surface
- Do not use extension cords that are warm when in use
- Use ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs)
- Use power strips to help keep circuits from overloading
- Properly label all circuit breakers or fuse boxes to corresponding fixtures and outlets
- Be careful when cleaning around lighting, fans, exhaust hoods, etc.
To ensure proper operation, safety and insurance coverage in case of a claim, all commercial kitchen electrical equipment should be installed by a licensed electrician. The Licensed Electricians at American Electric of Jacksonville have all the experience and technical knowledge to properly install all your electrical equipment – to local electrical and safety codes. We also provide full Electrical Safety Inspections, and make affordable recommendations to resolve any electrical safety or operational issues.
Contact American Electric of Jacksonville for an Electrical Safety Inspection Today!